check your problems at the door

Monday, August 22, 2011

No matter if we have had gotten up on the wrong side of the bed, had someone dinged up our car then driven away (with no note), run out of gas on I-40, or just had an all around bad day, as teachers we cannot bring our negativity or personal problems into the classroom.  Today was one of those days for me.  The weekend had gone as far from "as planned" as physically possible, and I had to trudge in on a Monday morning and act like everything was all hunky dory!  Although I had heard that it would be tough before, I definitely learned it first hand that day.  Although some colleagues were able to read me, I believe that my students were oblivious to my personal problems which is exactly what I want.

Some of these kids only have their teachers to look to for positivity.  A few of them may have stressful home lives, and school is their refuge.  Even if only one kid in my class uses my class as an escape from negativity, I should make it a point every day to be as positive, upbeat, and supportive as possible no matter what!  So, check your problems at the door because even if you may have had a rough start, some of these kids are depending on you to help them get a good start!

0 comments:

Post a Comment