spanish teacher = part time translator

Saturday, August 13, 2011

So on the last day of inservice, the freshmen came, went through a mock day of their schedules, and got a run down of the school clubs.  Since I am starting with a Spanish I class, I knew that I would be meeting quite a few of my students this day.  Sure enough, I had 1/2 of my students present.  It was really exciting to finally have kiddos in my class!  They were all attentive and seem to be a great group; so, I can't wait until Monday!

The surprise of the day was that the other Spanish intern and I got pulled to translate for a Mexican student who does not speak a lick of English.  Obviously, he was very nervous about the day; so, we tried to calm his nerves by giving him a school tour, introducing him to teachers that he would be meeting, and even the soccer coach.  Little did he know, I was a nervous wreck because I haven't really used my Spanish since last Spring!  I think it was a good reminder for me to see that our job descriptions go beyond "classroom educator".  Clearly, Spanish (and other world language) teachers need to add "part time translator" to theirs!

Kids come back Monday, and I cannot wait to meet them all and get them pumped up about español!

1 comments:

Eebster said...

I had a very similar experience today with a French exchange student we JUST found out about; gave him a tour of the school and spoke mostly French. I think he was much more comfortable partly because he could hear me struggling with the language to some degree. It's weird, you want to be a professional in your content area but even your flaws can put a student at comfort and secure a relationship. So many different shades of being a teacher, it's incredible.

Post a Comment